Author(s) : Abraham Silberschatz
Publisher : Wiley
Date : 2003
Pages : 976
Format : PDF
ISBN-10 : 0471489050
ISBN-13 : 978-0471489054
* New edition of the bestseller provides readers with a clear description of the concepts that underlie operating systems
* Uses Java to illustrate many ideas and includes numerous examples that pertain specifically to popular operating systems such as UNIX, Solaris 2, Windows NT and XP, Mach, the Apple Macintosh OS, IBM's OS/2 and Linux
* Style is even more hands-on than the previous edition, with extensive programming examples written in Java and C
* New coverage includes recent advances in Windows 2000/XP, Linux, Solaris 9, and Mac OS X
* Detailed case studies of Windows XP and Linux give readers full coverage of two very popular operating systems
* Also available from the same authors, the highly successful Operating System Concepts, Sixth Edition (0-471-25060-0)
From the Back Cover
A BETTER WAY TO LEARN ABOUT OPERATING SYSTEMS
Master the concepts at work behind modern operating systems! Silberschatz, Galvin, and Gagne’s Operating Systems Concepts with Java, Sixth Edition illustrates fundamental operating system concepts using the java programming language, and introduces you to today’s most popular OS platforms. The result is the most modern and balanced introduction to operating systems available.
* Keep up with current developments: This Sixth Edition features increased coverage of Pthreads, new coverage of network structures, including LANS, WANs, and wireless LANs, and new coverage of communication in client-server systems, including sockets, remote procedure calls (RPCs), and java’s remote method invocation (RMI).
* Get up-to-speed with Java: The book uses Java 1.4 to illustrate relevant concepts, such as threads, interprocess communication, scheduling, synchronization, and network programming. It also includes an outline Java Primer for readers who are unfamiliar with the Java language.
* Examine complete working programs: An abundance of up-to-date examples and programs written in Java and C (Pthreads) allow you to explore key issues.
* Learn the details of the most widely used operating systems: Several examples throughout the book explains the inner workings of Windows 2000/XP, Linux, Solaris, and Mac OSX, while detailed case studies allow you to explore Windows XP and Linux in greater depth.
* Explore key issues: The book also includes detailed coverage of process management, storage management, I/O systems, distributed systems, and protection and security.